Wednesday, April 15, 2009

America



Our 5th blog post was to become the teacher and create a lesson plan for other students about the books we read. I chose to do Jason's lesson plan, which was to research about the book, "The Tortilla Curtain," and then rewrite a song explaining Mexican Immigration to the US. I rewrote Paul Simon's, "America." 


Just give me a week or two and we’ll both be out of here.”
and you’ll have ten dresses, a whole closet full” 
So we left our life in Mexico as we packed our bags.
And we walked off to look for America
Rosa," I said as I paid the man called Coyote
America seems like a dream to me now
It took two weeks to cross that unfenced Cali line
I’ve come to look for America

Owning our own house
We’ll go from rags to riches
Then she turned to me and said we’ll be living the dream
I said “I can see our future right there past the border.” 

210 mile stretch of Sonoran Desert 
We walked through the night without a rest
The heat and dehydration, we almost turned around
Then we heard the cars on the interstate

Things were good for a while,” though I knew it wouldn’t last
There was no more work here. Not now, not ever” 
I thought I knew what I wanted, not anymore
They’ve all come to look for America
All come to look for America
All come to look for America


No comments:

Post a Comment